UKGC: Understand UK Gambling Legislation on Online Casinos
Gambling laws all over the world help to ensure that all casino operations are transparent and safe for both operators and players. In the United Kingdom, we have The Gambling Commission, which was set up in 2005. Under the government’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport, UKGC ensure that all online operators meet the required standards.
In 2013, the Gambling Commission took over the National Lottery Commission. This came with further regulations of the National Lottery under the National Lottery.
The United Kingdom is home to some of the oldest and largest online casinos in the industry. UK players also make a huge percentage of the total online casino players. So, are the UK gambling laws favourable?
Why we need the UK Gambling Commission:
• The gambling commission ensures that all license holders have a separate bank account for keeping the player’s funds.
• The UKGC ensures that operators only use licensed software.
• The commission always looks out for flag deceptive advertisements and promotions.
• The UKGC also ensures that casino houses use safe and secure payment options and take all the necessary steps to detect and avoid money laundering.
• The commission also ensures that the customer support system of licensed operators is reliable and efficient.
The UK Gambling Commission and the Gambling Act 2005
According to the act of 2005, the gambling commission has the power to issue gambling licenses, impose fines and revoke licences.
The act defines the UKGC’s Basic functions are:
• Preventing online gambling crime and disorder
• Making certain that gambling is done in a fair and open way
• Protecting children and vulnerable persons from harm and exploitation through gambling.
What are the different types of licenses?
• Permit to supply software.
• License to operate arcades, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres.
• Remote and non-remote casinos including live streaming and networks.
• Non-remote and remote bingo.
• License to create, manufacture, supplied, adapt, install and maintains gaming machines.
• Permit for society and local lotteries.
• Remote and non-remote betting intermediary license.
Common FAQ Concerning Gambling Legislation in the UK
Who can apply for a license to sell gambling services?
There is no limit to the number of operational appliances that one can apply for. However, there is a law stating that a British entity or entity within the EEA is not allowed to apply.
What casino restrictions apply on licensees?
The GA 2005 states that owners of non-remote casino and bingo licenses cannot give credit. It also limits young persons under 18; any wager by an underage must be returned and no prize paid.
Only casinos licensed under the act of 2005 are allowed to provide bingo and betting.
Is remote gambling allowed?
Yes – unlike many other jurisdictions, the UKGC permits remote gambling.
What is the applicable time for the licenses?
Licenses once given are indefinite, unless surrendered, lapsed or revoked.
What is the commission’s social responsibility?
The gambling commission ensures that all casino supplier and operators have put all the necessary measures to detect and prevent problem gambling.
Check out our list on online casinos to find out the safest and most trustworthy places to play!
100% match bonus up to £300
LeoVegas Casino is an award-winning casino offering a platform where you can play and win using any device whether mobile, desktop or tablet.
UNIQUE BONUS: 100% UP TO £/€ 50 CASINO WELCOME BONUS
Betsafe have managed to offer customer satisfaction with a variety of gameplay from their vast selection of casino games, poker, sports and horse race betting.
100% up to €100 with free spins
MrGreen is one of the most popular casino brands on the market. It offers a large range of slot games as well table games.
Casino floor live roulette review – a new, rich variant of roulette
Experience luxurious online roulette on the floor of a five-star hotel. Casino Floor by Authentic…
How to get better at Online Poker
Poker has always been one of the most popular casinos games. The fascination with and…
Welcome to the gambling party at the Blackjack Party by Evolution gaming
If you are looking for an adrenaline-pumping but fun time, this game is an excellent…
How to Play Live Dream Catcher by Evolution Gaming – How Play, Have Fun & Maximise Wins
Make your dreams come true in the Live Dream Catcher wheel-of-fortune game. Time to meet…
Live Lightning Roulette Review, Guide & Strategy
Are you ready to get electrified by Live Lightning Roulette? Prepare to bask in the…
Which Online Casino Bonus is Best for Me?
Everyone likes something extra and that is why online casinos are keen to treat players…