Louisiana Casinos Online
The Pelican state is a popular vacation destination that is much appreciated for its wide variety of gambling options. With as many as 20 full-fledged casinos and 4 racetracks offering plenty of slot machines most types of risk-taking is easily available in Louisiana. The only things that are actually illegal in the state are dog racing and sports wagering, as well as gambling over the internet, with the exception of horse betting which is allowed to be offered.
Enjoying the convenience and many other benefits that gambling online comes with is, in other words, not supported by the state. This doesn’t mean that you can’t easily do it in a safe way though. There are plenty of off-shore licensed and popular Louisiana friendly casinos online that gladly accept residents from the Pelican state. Even though it’s officially illegal to play at these sites the state doesn’t have the resources to chase down online gamblers and therefore no one has ever faced any legal action for doing it.
Best online casinos in Louisiana listed and reviewed
Should you be interested in spinning on slots, experiencing table games or indulging in any other gambling over the internet we have gathered below some of the best Louisiana casinos online. Not only do these sites offer a wide variety of casino games, but many of them also allow you to place sport wagers and play poker against other players.
400% up to $2,000 with ree Spins
- Diverse game collection including live casino games
- Accepts cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Litecoin
- A lot of 3D slots available
100% Bonus up to $8,888 +350 free spins on first 6 deposits
- Great selection of table games and video poker games
- US customers accepted
- Great bonuses for all types of players
250% Bonus up to $2,550
- There are several bonuses, cash back programs and VIP programs at this casino.
- A lot of their their offers have no maximum cash out limits, unlike some of Deck Media’s casino brands.
- This casino accepts US players as well.
Deposit $25 and play with $100
- Full selection of Rival games available
- A lot of bonuses, especially for slot machine players
- Experienced online casino launched in 2012
100% Bonus up to $100 on first 8 deposits
- 24/7 support available through live chat and email
- Accessible for most US players
What should I look out for in an internet casino in Louisiana?
It totally depends as we all have different needs and preferences that will satisfy us. In general the things you should consider are, however, the same as those that we have taken into careful consideration when we have determined which the best online casinos in Louisiana are. These factors include:
- The extent and variety of the casino’s game selection
- Deposit and withdrawal methods that are available
- How long it takes for withdrawals to be processed
- The value and frequency of promotional offers
- The experience on smartphones and tablets
- If you can benefit from a loyalty program
- The availability of the customer support
- Gambling licenses and safety standards
If you choose to play at any of the best Louisiana casinos that we have listed above you don’t have to think much about any of this though. They are all doing a fantastic job in all of these factors.
How do I gamble at online casinos in Louisiana?
It’s really a piece of cake and not much different than gambling at land based venues. You probably don’t need any instructions for it, but just in case we have provided a step-by-step guide below.
- Choose one of the best Louisiana casinos that we have suggested on top of the page. They have a lot of similarities and are all great choices so you can’t go wrong with any of them.
- Open up a personal account by clicking the button that says “join” or “sign up”. You’ll get to enter some personal details about yourself such as name, date of birth and home address.
- Confirm the account creation. This isn’t always needed, but if it is a message will either be sent to your phone or e-mail. Usually with a code that needs to be entered on the casino site.
- Decide if you would like to take part of the casino’s welcome bonus or not. You probably want to as this will give you extra money to gamble with. The bonus is rarely added by itself but must be activated. This is either done before, during or after funding your account. If you aren’t sure just have a quick chat with the customer support that is available 24/7.
- Deposit money into your casino account. This is done by heading to the cashier which should be easy to find. Payment methods normally include bitcoins and debit cards among others. The transaction is smoothly done just like any other purchase over the internet.
- Now it’s time for the thrilling fun to begin. Browse through hundreds of slot machines, table games, video pokers and much more. Don’t be shy trying out something totally new. Rules and pay tables are included in all games and if something is unclear the customer support is always happy to help you out.
- Hopefully your gambling is going great which means that you may want to cash out some of your winnings. This is usually done in the same cashier that the deposit was made in. Withdrawal methods often include bitcoins, check and wire transfer.
- Once a cash out is requested it’s normally handled by the casino within 48 hours. However, for your first withdrawal you will be asked to verify your identity by providing the gambling site with a photo copy of a valid ID. This is a security process that exists at all legitimate online casinos and also at land based casinos in Louisiana.
Quick facts about gambling in Louisiana
- The state has 16 commercial casinos, 4 tribal and 4 racinos
- The minimum age requirement at land based casinos is 21
- 21 is also the minimum age for partaking in the state lottery
- For horse betting and charitable gambling minimum age is 18
- At 18 you can also play at most Louisiana friendly casinos online
- Annual tax from gambling revenue is around 2.1 billion dollars
Social gambling: Legal
Charity raffles: Legal
Poker games: Legal
Casino games: Legal
Bingo games: Legal
Horse betting: Legal
Online gambling: illegal
Sports betting: illegal
Is it legal to play casino online in Louisiana?
It is not. Even though this southern province has quite a liberal gambling storm blowing through it, playing casino online in Louisiana is without a doubt a criminal offence. Unlike many American states that haven’t gotten into specifics about internet gambling, Louisiana is very clear about this. Included in the law covering illegal gambling activities one can find the following segment:
“Gambling by computer is the intentional conducting of any game or contest whereby a person risks the loss of anything of value in order to realize a profit when accessing the Internet, World Wide Web, or any part thereof by way of any computer, computer system, computer network, computer software, or any server.”
The penalty for a first time offence is also quite a harsh one as you can get a fine of up $500 and 6 months of imprisonment. As bad as all of this may seem you probably don’t have to worry the tiniest bit though should you like to indulge in online gambling. It’s highly unlikely that the state would be able to track or even care about tracking individuals playing at internet casinos. We don’t know how many Louisianans gamble online, but many certainly do and no one has ever been prosecuted for it.
A brief look at the history of gambling in Louisiana
1700s: Many restrictions to gambling are introduced and eventually all gambling becomes illegal. This didn’t stop real money risk-taking from happening though as it only led to a black market where people went underground to gamble.
1753: In an attempt to control and regulate gambling a government owned casino opens up.
1803: By this time gambling was incredibly wide spread throughout Louisiana. More gambling establishments were available here than in several major cities combined.
1812: Louisiana is recognized as a state and along with this all gambling is once again made illegal, with the exception of the city of New Orleans where gambling is still allowed.
1866: A state lottery is introduced.
1895: Due to corruption the state lottery is shut down. Gambling is also made illegal in New Orleans.
1920: Pari-mutuel horse betting becomes legal at fairground tracks.
1991: A new state lottery is introduced and to avoid corruption it’s overseen by an authoritative regulatory commission. This year also allowed for 15 riverboat casinos to operate in Louisiana. They are permitted to offer table games and video pokers but not slot machines.
1993: After negotiation three tribal casinos are approved by the state to be built on Native American grounds.
1997: Slot machines become legal and may in addition also be offered by racetracks, which introduces so called racinos to Louisiana.
2013: Legalizing online gambling is for the first time up for discussion as a committee is formed to investigate how beneficial it could be for the state.
2018: A bill was introduced to legalize Louisianan online casinos. It was, however, turned down.
Pros and cons of gambling online
With more than 20 land-based venues that are packed with slot machines, table games and other thrilling products it’s certainly not a difficult task to gamble in Louisiana. Even though it’s not supported by the law, doing the gambling online does, however, come with many benefits that one should know about. There are a couple of downsides as well, but in our opinion the advantages weigh much heavier than these. We have summarized all of the pros and cons below.
Gambling online is great because…+ It’s very convenient. You can do it at anytime from anywhere
+ Slot machines pay back a much higher percentage of your stakes
+ You can make deposits and withdrawals using crypto currencies
+ There’s no other way to bet on sports and greyhounds in the state
+ Bonus offers tend to be more valuable and more frequently offered
+ The age requirement at most Louisiana friendly online casinos is 18
Gambling online is not so good because….– The selection of games is not quite as wide as at land based venues
– Although live dealer games are offered the vibe is not as authentic
– Cash outs are never instant. There’s at least a 24 hour waiting period
– Smaller fees on deposits and withdrawals may be charged
Land based casinos in Louisiana
If gambling over the internet isn’t your thing you can easily get to a land based venue no matter where in Louisiana you live. Casinos are scattered all over the state. Below we have listed all of your options with directions to how you reach them.
Address: 500 Lake Palourde Rd, Amelia, LA 70340
Belle of Baton Rouge
Address: 103 France St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge
Address: 1717 River Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
L’Auberge Casino Baton Rouge
Address: 777 L’Auberge Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70820
Boomtown Bossier City
Address: 300 Riverside Dr, Bossier City, LA 71111
Diamond Jacks Casino Bossier City
Address: 711 Diamondjacks Blvd, Bossier City, LA 71111
Harrah’s Louisiana Downs
Address: 8000 E Texas St, Bossier City, LA 71111
Horseshoe Bossier City
Address: 711 Horseshoe Blvd, Bossier City, LA 71111
Margaritaville Resort Casino
Address: 777 Margaritaville Way, Bossier City, LA 71111
Cypress Bayou Casino
Address: 832 Martin Luther King Rd, Charenton, LA 70523
Jena Choctaw Pines Casino
Address: 149 Chahta Trails, Dry Prong, LA 71423
Boomtown New Orleans
Address: 4132 Peters Rd, Harvey, LA 70058
Treasure Chest Casino
Address: 5050 Williams Blvd, Kenner, LA 70065
Coushatta Casino Resort
Address: 777 Coushatta Dr, Kinder, LA 70648
Golden Nugget Lake Charles
Address: 2550 Golden Nugget Boulevard, Lake Charles, LA 70601
L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
Address: 777 Ave L’Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601
Paragon Casino Resort
Address: 711 Paragon Place, Marksville, LA 71351
Harrah’s New Orleans
Address: 228 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130
Address: 2235 Cresswell Lane Extension, Opelousas, LA 70570
Address: 451 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101
Sam’s Town Shreveport
Address: 315 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101
Delta Downs Vinton
Address: 2717 Delta Downs Dr, Vinton, LA 70668Isle of Capri Casino
Address: 100 Westlake Ave, Westlake, LA 70669
FAQ about gambling and casinos in Louisiana
How do I receive my winnings from online casinos?
It depends on the casino you’re playing with as different gambling sites offer different cash out methods. If you choose to play at any of the best Louisiana casinos that we have suggested on top of the page it is, however, common to find check, bitcoins and wire transfer as withdrawal options.
Once you’ve requested a cash out it can take up to 48 hours before it’s approved by the casino and your money is sent to you. If withdrawing by bitcoins it’s almost instantly received, while wire transfers can take up to 5 bank days and checks up to 10 days to arrive.
What bonuses will I find playing online?
This also depends on where you gamble, but in general you can expect to find a very wide variety of them. This includes deposit bonuses giving you extra money on a deposit; various promotional offers that earn you free spins on slot machines; as well lottery draws with varying prizes at stake.
You can also find cash backs returning some of your potential net losses; competitions; and special promos centered on live casino games such as blackjack. Not to mention loyalty rewards, goodwill offers and refer-a-friend bonuses that can earn you money for signing up your friends to the casino.
How are online casinos regulated if they are illegal?
The Louisiana friendly online casinos that we recommend actually aren’t illegal. While it is indeed illegal to run a gambling site within the state of Louisiana these casinos are all located outside of America. They are licensed and regulated in other jurisdictions such as Curacao and Kahnawake.
Can I get in trouble for playing casino online?
In theory you could as the Louisiana state law clearly defines it as an illegal activity. In reality it is, however, probably more likely that you win hundreds of millions playing casino online, which makes it a risk well worth taking. There are no records of no one ever getting in trouble for online gambling.
What’s the definition of social gambling in Louisiana?
Social gambling is totally legal in the Pelican state and includes all types of risk-taking. To be considered a social activity the host that is offering the gambling is not allowed to make any money out of it whatsoever. This means no charging of any entrance fee, no provision taken from the games and no selling of beverages or food. Playing a home game of poker with your friends is in other words perfectly fine as long as you don’t break these rules. So is wagering money on dices, roulette and any other game.
Casino Sites by States
More US online casinos