North Carolina Casinos Online
The past two decades there have been an explosion in gambling sites offering sports betting, poker and all types of different casino games online. While many of us are thankful for this, no one is happier than risk-takers living in North Carolina as this is one of the most gambling conservative states in America. As a resident you surely know what we are talking about.
While it’s true that things have gotten better in recent times, there’s still much to wish for and therefore a lot of people in North Carolina are choosing to gamble at online casinos. Since you are here reading you are probably looking to do so as well. If so you’ll be happy to know that we have gathered and listed the very best North Carolina casinos that can be played at online.
On the following page we have also shared some valuable information about internet gambling. This includes the legal status of it; what you should look out for in an online casino and how you get started gambling over the internet.
Best online casinos in North Carolina listed and reviewed
What should I look out for before signing up with a casino?
To get as good of a gambling experience that you can there are many things that may be worth checking out before signing up with a casino – some that are more obvious than others. When determining which the best online casinos in North Carolina are we have had all of these factors in mind. This means that you’re probably good to go with any of the sites that we have listed above. But to answer the question it’s generally a good idea to look out for the following:
Payment methods that are being offered
If you aren’t able to deposit there’s no use signing up so heading over to the cashier to get a glimpse of payment methods being offered is probably wise. At online casinos in North Carolina the selection is usually not that wide, but you normally have to settle with debit cards, bitcoins and wire transfer.
Expertise and availability of the customer support
The importance of a professional support that is easily reachable around the clock is often neglected. It’s no wonder since most of the time you won’t need it or you may never need it. When and if you do you do, however, want it to be good. So before signing up with a casino it doesn’t hurt having a quick talk with the support on the live chat that is offered just to see how helpful the agents are.
What type of games that are available
This is an obvious one. If you’re looking to spin on slots you want many slots to be available and if you’re looking play roulette this needs to be offered. It may also be that you want to combine your casino gambling with other products such as sports betting and online poker.
How the selection of bonus offers seems to be
As you may or may not already know there is no better way of boosting you chances of winning than taking part of bonus offers. Heading over to the casino’s promotional page to see what’s available can therefore be a good idea. The number of bonuses currently available can of course vary from one time to another, but if there’s rarely anything at all it’s probably not a very bonus friendly site.
You may also want to check out the terms and conditions of the bonuses as even though all promotions will be good for you in the long run some are of course more valuable than others. Look out for low wagering requirements and high bonus amounts.
If you are being charged with any fees on withdrawals
You don’t want to miss out on this one as winning big just to realize that you have to give away 5% of it in order to receive your money kind of sucks.
How well-reputed and safe the casino is
All of the best North Carolina casinos that we have recommended for online gambling are of course 100% safe with SSL encrypted transactions and safe-guards against hackers. Not to mention having a great reputation among millions of American players. When deciding which sites to list this is the factor that we take into consideration the most. It’s simply out of the question suggesting a site that we aren’t sure is well-protected and safe to play at.
How do I gamble at online casinos in North Carolina?
From choosing a site to play at to finding excitement in hundreds of games and spending the winnings that lady luck has hopefully blessed you with, the process is quite a simple one. We have constructed a brief step-by-step guide below covering more or less everything you need to know.
- Pay a visit to one of the best North Carolina casinos listed by us on top of the page.
- Create a personal account by clicking the join or sign up button. You’ll be asked to enter some personal information about yourself such as your first and last name, date of birth, home address, e-mail and phone number.
- Once your account is created you’ll be able to try out the vast majority of the casino’s games for free should you like to do so. Just click on one of them and you’ll get the option of playing it using demo credits.
- To gamble for real you need to deposit money into your casino account. Head to the cashier and you’ll be able to do this using several different payment methods. To have your account instantly funded depositing with Visa or Mastercard is usually the best option.
- Before funding your account you might want to check out the casino’s promotional page. At the very least you’re able to get a welcome bonus as this is offered by all online casinos in North Carolina. Usually there are some other promotions to take part of as well. By reading the terms and conditions that each bonus comes with you’ll know how to activate the offers.
- When browsing through the games offered by the casino we highly recommend being curious and trying out a bit of everything. You never know what hidden gems you will find. Rules and pay tables that are easy to understand are included in all games. Should anything still be unclear after reading these the customer support is happy to help you out as well.
- Hopefully lady luck is by your side which means cashing in big. Should this happen you would probably like to cash out. This is easily done in the same cashier that you made your deposit in. Withdrawal options are usually limited to bitcoins, wire transfer and check by courier.
- At the best North Carolina casinos recommended by us your withdrawal request will be handled within 48 hours. However, for your very first one you have to go through a security process as a precaution to prevent fraud and underage gambling. This involves sending the casino a photo copy of a valid ID. It’s a smooth process that shouldn’t cause any trouble.
Interesting gambling facts about North Carolina
- Minimum age to gamble is 18 except for casinos which is 21
- At North Carolina friendly online casinos minimum age is 18
- Horse racing has never been legal in the Tar Heel state
- A state-run lottery program wasn’t introduced until 2005
- Home games of poker have been raided a couple of times
- There are 2 tribal casinos and 3 bingo parlors in the state
- Annual tax revenue from gambling is around $400 million
Is it legal to play casino online in North Carolina?
Considering how conservative the Tar Heel state is towards gambling this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone, but no it’s definitely not legal to play casino online in North Carolina. In the criminal code this is covered under statue 14-292. This states the following:
“[Gambling includes] any person or organization that operates any game of chance or any person who plays at or bets on any game of chance at which any money, property or other thing of value is bet, whether the same be in stake or not, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.”
As far as we know there are no records of any North Carolinian ever being penalized for playing online though. The story in the Tar Heel state is probably the same as in all other American states that also forbid online gambling. There’s no interest in chasing down single individuals, but the long arm of the law is only going after companies that actually operate online casinos within the state.
What’s the legal status of other types of gambling?
Social gambling: illegal
Charity gambling: Legal (bingo and raffles only)
Sports betting: Legal
Horse race betting: illegal
Social gambling: illegal
Charity gambling: Legal (bingo and raffles only)
Sports betting: Legal
Horse race betting: illegal
A brief look at the history of gambling in North Carolina
1749: Debts from gambling that surpass 100 pounds are marked off as non-recoverable.
1753: Gambling in public is banned. For private gambling a loss limit of 40 shillings per day is introduced.
1784: The state repeals the law that was introduced in 1753 and begins taxing public gambling.
1939: Greyhound racing is legalized in North Carolina.
1945: The county of Mecklenburg allows bingo to be offered by charitable organizations.
1954: Being legal for less than two decades greyhound racing becomes banned.
1977: Charitable organizations are now allowed to offer raffles as well.
1982: The Cherokee tribe begins offering bingo games without any permission from the state.
1994: After the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act passed on a federal level in 1988, the Cherokee tribe signs a casino compact with the state allowing them to construct a casino.
1997: The first casino in North Carolina opens up – Harrah’s Cherokee Casino.
2005: A state lottery is approved of. Tickets start going on sale the next year.
2007: Up until this point businesses in the state were allowed to offer a couple of video gaming machines. As many venues didn’t stick to the allowed limit North Carolina did, however, decide to ban these machines all together this year.
2012: Through an amendment in their gambling contract the Cherokee tribe is now allowed to offer table games, which they weren’t before.
2015: The second casino in North Carolina opens up – Cherokee Valley River Casino.
2017: A bill to legalize daily fantasy sports is introduced, but eventually fails.
Land based gambling venues in North Carolina
While land based gambling options certainly aren’t the best in the conservative state of North Carolina you aren’t entirely limited to getting your dose of gambling excitement online. There are in fact two tribal casinos operating in the state, which are enormous venues offering a huge amount of slots and table games. There are also three bingo halls in North Carolina should you enjoy this type of gambling.
Tribal casinos in North Carolina
Harrah’s Cherokee Hotel and Casino
Address: 777 Casino Dr, Cherokee, NC 28719
Slot machines: 3,200
Table games: 100
Poker tables: 20
Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino and Hotel
Address: 777 Casino Pkwy, Murphy, NC 28906
Slot machines: 1,000
Table games: 70
Poker tables: None
Bingo halls in North Carolina
Cherokee Tribal Bingo
Address: Bingo Loop Rd, Cherokee, NC 28719
Eastway Beach Bingo
Address: 2835 Eastway Dr, Charlotte, NC 28205
Address: 202 W Market St Greensboro, NC 27401
FAQ about gambling and casinos in North Carolina
What are the benefits of gambling over the internet?
There are many advantages with convenience being the most obvious one. It’s a great feeling being able to gamble at anytime from anywhere. No need to dress up or travel anywhere.
Another benefit, which is often overlooked, is the sheer amount of bonus offers that are available online and how these tend to be of greater value than promotions at land based venues.
Slot enthusiasts are also much more likely to win from internet gambling than playing at North Carolina’s tribal casinos as payout percentages in slot machines online are much, much higher.
While the above are the three major benefits of online gambling, a lower minimum age requirement (18) and the possibility of depositing with bitcoins should also be noted.
Can I get arrested for playing casino online in North Carolina?
In theory you could as the law says that the activity is a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, in the two decades that online gambling has been available no one has ever been faced with any legal action so it’s highly unlikely that it will ever happen.
Am I allowed to play poker with my friends for money?
No. In North Carolina social gambling is banned and unlike many other states that turn a blind eye to it there have actually been several instances where home games of poker have been raided. If you keep a low profile the risk of getting caught is of course non-existent, but you should definitely be cautious about it.
Do I have to pay taxes on online casino winnings?
Yes. When it comes to taxes there is no difference in gambling at land based venues and playing online. Federal law says that any profits that originate from sports betting, poker, casino or any other type of gambling has to be declared and taxed.
More Casino Website by States